Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
169 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How can sciatica be treated?

I have sciatica. Beginning of last year, the foot doctor to wear a boot because I sprained by ankle. Unfortunately, the boot caused my sciatica to worsen. So naturally, I took it off. It took a long while before my ankle healed but left my sciatica in a painful state. I didn t get help until pain was going down my leg. The doctors a long while ago gave me the steroid injections in the office but now they don t do that anymore. You have to go to a anesthesia doctor. In January, I had to go to a clinic where the steroid injection was give putting me under anesthesia. When I woke up. I first had this very bad headache. The next day the headache was better but had this bad nausea feeling in my stomach. Even my whole face was red and swollen. I couldn t get rid of for a least 3 weeks. Now, even though my back is a little better but now I have to go back for a second injection for the back of my leg. I could only take the smell air. Not any other narcotics. Now what am I going to do. I always had a sensitive stomach. I am ok with the steroid injection not the narcotic drug that makes me sick.
Wed, 4 Apr 2018
Report Abuse
General Surgeon 's  Response

It is best that you get an MRI scan of the lumbosacral spine to see for any intervertebral disc prolapse, which could be the cause of nerve compression and sciatica. If the symptoms are very disturbing, and the MRI scan shows nerve compression, it may be good to get the prolapsed disc removed by minimal access surgery. It with physiotherapy of the lower back would relieve you of sciatica pain. You may then stop steroid injections or any opioids. Please do consult an orthopedic surgeon for the evaluation and management.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Ajit Kumar Varma
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

My 85 year old mother had breast surgery last week (lumpectomy, right breast, 11:00) and now, 1 week later, is experiencing a very strong pain in...