Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

How can proliferative retinopathy be treated ?

my sister (age 32, weight 42 kg diabetic since 3 years)recently diagonosed proliferative retinopathy , what kind of treatment would you suggest? Is there a chance of blindness ,? how much %
Asked On : Wed, 20 Jul 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  107
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases 's  Response
Hello.ur Q lacks some details but wil answer to help.treatment n % of blindness will depend upon the stage of retinopathy n area of retina affected.but laser treatment done in early stage can prevent blindness.also good bl.sugar control is v.imp kindly visit a diabetologist or ophthalmologist as soon as possible
Answered: Wed, 20 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Chirag Soni's  Response
Welcome to HCM.

First try to control her sugar level.

Two types of treatment is available for it.Scatter laser treatment and Vitrectomy(surgical method).Both treatment are effective to reducing the vision loss.People with proliferative retinopathy have less than a five persant chance of becomming blind within the five years when they get timely and appropriate treatment(Data from national eye institute).Both treatment have high succes rates.You may need treatment more than once to protect your sight.Consult your opthalmologist for better treatment.
Answered: Wed, 20 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor