How can painful intercourse be managed?

My girlfriend an I have been trying to have sex. It is both our first times. She went it the doctor and they told her to try intercourse. I can barely even insert anything and she says it hurts. What can we do to break it without pain and can she maybe take ibuprofen?
Mon, 25 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice

Sometimes dyspareunia results due to lack of adequate foreplay, vaginal dryness or nervousness, vagisnismus can be a problem where involuntary contraction of the pelvic floor may occur. Anxiety, fear, depression or stress, some emotional problem may trigger the tightening of the pelvic floor. Not to worry, take it easy. Use lubricants and make sure your girlfriend is totally relaxed and at ease before you try to penetrate. If she is a virgin, hymen may break and cause little bleeding. That's normal.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.