How can painful blisters on the tongue be treated?

I have severely painful sores and blisters all over my tongue and on the inside of my gums and mouth. I have found eating and drinking impossible due to the pain it causes. I have tried the Lidocaine 2% Visc mouth rinse with hardly any relief. What can I do to get rid of the speeds PR at least help with the pain?
Fri, 8 Jun 2018
Dentist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

As per your complain it seems that painful sores over the tongue and other parts of mouth seems to be due to Apthous Stomatitis leading to inflammation inside mouth and along with it there seems to be apthous ulcers or canker sores.It can be due to causes like deficiency of iron and vitamin B12, stress, physical trauma to the tongue, allergies, acid reflux , side effects of medication etc..I would suggest you to consult an Oral Physician and get evaluated and a thorough clinical evaluation and investigations like blood tests can help in diagnosis..Treatment of underlying cause will relieve the symptoms..As of now you can start gargling with a numbing mouthwash containing Lignocaine to relieve the symptoms.You can also take a multivitamin tablet daily..You can take anti inflammatory painkiller like Ibuprofen..Suck ice and do cool water rinses..Avoid spicy food..Hope I have answered your query.

Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr. Honey Arora