Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
125 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How can pain in the upper back and shoulder blade be treated?

About five years ago, a push resulted in me injuring my upper right chest area. At first, I thought I may have just cracked my chest rib on the stair rail corner I fell into. I did not seek medical attention until i could no longer bare the pain while trying to sleep. This was about 4weeks after the injury. X-rays showed no breaks in that area and I did not have them run further tests- even though I was barely able to raise my arm without pain and could not sleep on my right side at all. Two weeks later I accidentally fell backwards down the stairs as I was leaving for work. I already had on my heavy coat so although I rode my right shoulder and upper back all the way down the stairs it did not hurt very much. however, five years later I still cannot sleep on my right shoulder without minor to moderate pain and sometimes it feels like a pinched nerve. The pain is typically where my back and shoulder blade meet but I do have occasional pain where my arm meets my shoulder as well, especially when doing exercises with weights. Sometimes the nerve and muscle running from my neck down the right side of my spine past my shoulder seems to be affected to. My first question is, what is likely damaged to still be providing so much pain five years later? If it were just a muscle tear would it not be already healed? Also, would an MRI be the best choice for determining what is causing the pain? Thanks. -Sandy
Tue, 18 Dec 2018
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response

As a first line management, you can take analgesics like paracetamol or aceclofenac for pain relief.

If symptoms persists you can consult an orthopedician and get evaluated.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Shinas Hussain,
General & Family Physician
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

i had an L3-4 disectomy and decompression in july and have been ok, but recently i have had pain in my upper back just below my shoulder blades and...