How can pain in the lower back and legs be treated?

My mom is 67 and typically in great shape. 3 weeks ago her lower back started hurting. It’s increasingly gotten worse with the pain moving down into her bottom, back of her legs and now into the front of her legs and knees. MRI and CT scan at the ED this weekend were both negative. Doctors said she was very constipated and most likely had pulled muscles in her back. They prescribed rest, pain meds, muscle relaxers and PT. She felt better after the first day, but has been in more pain the past few days and is having difficulty walking. This seems like more than constipation and strained/pulled muscles to me and I’m worried she’s getting worse and not better. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you
Asked On : Sat, 31 Mar 2018
Hi

Welcome to healthcare magic!

After going through your case history. I would suggest few more test for your mother
1. Vitamin D3 analysis
2. PPBS and FBS
3. BP
Because the most common reason for such pain is disc prolapse which has been already ruled out in your case as mri and CT scan are negative. So now it can be some neuropathic pain which can arise due to either diabetes or hypertension or due to Vitamin D3 deficiency. And if I would have been your treating physician then i would have started some neurogenic pain revealing medicine like Neurobion Forte along with the other medicines., If you have any questions further then I am right here . Take Care.

Wish you a speedy recovery

Dr. Medhavi Agarwal ,