How can pain in the hip joints after a long walk be treated?

I am a 68 year old male. I walked 4 miles today as exercise. I do this 2 or more times a week. My hip began paining, not the pelvis, more like the joint, a couple of hours after my walk. Now, when I take a step, the left hip joint hurts, making me limp. What have I done and how do I fix it? Thanks
Fri, 28 Sep 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Even though you regularly exercise, it is still possible that you may have sustained an injury to the hip joint. It is possible that it may be limited to the muscles surrounding the joint but it would be difficult to know with imaging eg x ray. In addition to assessment by imaging, physical examination would also be important. Rest to avoid aggravating the area, would be helpful as well.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.