Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
180 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How can pain due to esophagitis be treated?

I was diagnosed with esophagitis (following a diagnosis of Barrett s Esophagus) this past year, however my primary doctor is no longer in the area and, although I have a GI doctor, it takes a while to get in to see him. (I have an appointment for this coming Friday) My main concern is the inability to have any pain relief as I am now out of my pain medication (hydrocodace), and am unable to get a refill until after I see the specialist. Any suggestions as to a home remedy or how to ease the pain until I see a doctor.
Tue, 19 Jun 2018
Report Abuse
Diabetologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I would suggest that you wait for your doctor before the prescripton of hydrocodace can be fulfilled again. In the meantime however, I would suggest that you try a syrup that is a combination of sucralfate and oxetacaine. This is basically an antacid and therefore should be easily available. Also, oxetacaine affords a good pain relief in many patients. So I think you can try this syrup. A dose of 2-3 tsf 3 to 4 times per day should help.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I have what feel like irregular heart beats. I ve seen a cardioligist and had a stress test and Holter monitor with negative results. I ve been...