Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
120 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How can itchy rashes on the buttocks and tailbone area be treated?

I have a rash between my buttcheeks, right at the tailbone area. It won t go away, itches sometimes, and I don t know how to get rid of it. And I used to have a boil in my groin, in the crease where my groin is next to my inner thigh. It keeps leaking pus and smells, and won t heal or stop leaking every day. It smells very bad, and has soaked my groin with pus today. Ive washed it with Dial soap, but its been like this for almost a year
Thu, 18 Jul 2019
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response

That boil feeling with pus is indicating a possible infection (but we should rule out STDs) which is not being treated adequately. Apart local treatment, it requires systemic treatment with prescription meds (antibiotics and others).

For the moment, I can only suggest to:

- take proper care for the infected area
- wash with antibacterial soap and warm water
- apply antiseptic solution
- then apply triple antibiotic ointment.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take care

Dr Albana Sejdini, General & Family Physician
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Harry Maheshwari's  Response

As per your query you have symptoms of itchy rashes on the buttocks and tailbone area which seems to be due to fungal infection, contact dermatitis, allergic reaction due to detergent, soap, fragrance, chemical, metal, an animal bite, or an insect sting, a bacterial infection of hair follicles and Lyme disease.

Need not to worry. For now, take benadryl, apply cold compresses and avoid any cosmetic product. Wear loose clothes. I would suggest you avoid touching or picking a rash. Maintain complete hygiene. You should consult a dermatologist for proper examination. The doctor may prescribe an antihistamine, corticosteroid ointment and may give adrenaline short.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Harry Maheshwari, Dentist
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I have a itchy scaby rash on and above my tailbone. Itll go away for a little then itch and even splits like its chapped and it feels like a paper...