Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

How can i recover from a prolonged cough and nasal congestion ?

I started with nasal congestion and chest congestion Went to the doctor and was given amoxicillin It seemed to work to keep it down somewhat I also took the Tessalon cough perles which work great for me I have been off all pills for days and am still coughing Called the doctor and they said what is going around is long lasting and they wouldnt give me anymore cough perles How long should i wait if cough doesnt go away
Asked On : Sat, 30 Apr 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  139
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi Lisa;
welcome to HealthcareMagic
Any cough of more than 2 weeks necessarily requires to be investigated so if you have any associated symptoms like low grade fever;loss of weight and appetite along with fever then you can get CBC;ESR;X-ray of chest to rule out chest TB .If there is nothing wrong or you don't have any symptoms then it may be a allergic cough and not infection.If it is allergic it will take time to settle but please maintain follow up with your doctor.
Answered: Sat, 30 Apr 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response

I was given antibiotics and finished them. I called the doctor afterwards advising i was still coughing. They said whatever is going around just takes time to go away. I have no fever, or anything. I feel like i will cough up a lung and am annoyed they wouldnt give me the cough perles to help. I may call them this week and see what else they say.
Answered: Mon, 2 May 2011
ENT Specialist Dr. Naveen Kumar's  Response
Hi Lisa,

The cough that remains after an attack of can be either due to sinus discharge which comes from behind the nose into the throat or because of the residual infection following flu. You need to do steam inhalation 2-3 times/day and drink plenty of warm water, it should subside by this time. If it does not then you need to consult your ENT specialist for a thorough examination.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
Answered: Mon, 2 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor