How can flash burn in the eyes be treated?

My son, age 34 may have welder burned his eyes. He is working away from home running equipment. Yesterday he had a major breakdown which required arc welding. Today he says his eyes are very sore, light sensitive, a little gray colored and painful. He is on his way to buy eyedrops and go to bed. What would you recomend, and does this correspond to welder burn? Thanks.
Fri, 27 Jul 2018
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

It does correspond to a burn. I would advise him to patch the eye for 24 hours after putting an antibiotic drop and an artificial tear drop. Burns denude the surperficial layer of the eye but it grows back after 24 hours of patching. Following that you can use the above drops for a week. He should be fine.

Hope it helps.