How can excessive weight gain while on Paxil be managed?

I am on paxil for about 6yrs. Now, and have gained 30 lbs. I am an 84 yr old female, in good health except for this horrible weight gain. I asked my nurse practitioner about viibryd, she said it causes extreme anxiety, and one pt. committed suicide. Then I looked up Wellbutrin, and it said you can loose wt., but I didn like the sound of that either. This wght. Gain is making me more depressed, so what the heck is a person to do?
Tue, 19 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

You are very right, Paroxetine can cause weight gain which can be annoying. In such patients what we generally do is to encourage people to exercise and diet. Rule out other causes like hypothyroidism. hypothyroidism can cause both weight gain and depression. Paroxetine can be replaced with Fluxatine which is sometimes associated with weight gain.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.