Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
175 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How can elevated cholesterol levels be treated?

Hi, I would like to know if there is any other meds I can take for cholesterol that does not have any staring. I am taking lovastatin but I have real bad legs and I get a lot of muscle pain. Thanks. Also my husband was taking cholestyramine the powder. But the co pay was too high.
Wed, 21 Mar 2018
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response

For hyper cholesterol statin group of drugs are very powerful. But few patients can suffer from muscle pain as side effects. So if statin cannot be taken, then another group of drugs can be given like bile acid sequestrant, cholesterol absorption inhibitor, fabric acid derivatives etcetera.

Stop Statin for a week and if muscle pain improved that suggest your problem was because of statin side effects. Consult a physician for examination and discuss your case.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Parth Goswami
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor , Im from Indian origin and i have a very high bad cholestrol (Triglycerid = 620 ) . I have decided to change my food style and do...