Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
184 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How can elevated blood pressure level be treated?

My dad is 92 years old, just had surgery to repair a macular hole. His blood pressure ran high that day 170 s over high 80 s and then that evening went to 201 over 99. Have talked with one doctor and then saw his primary yesterday. Pressures have been in the 170-180 s range with just a couple under 145. Bottom numbers around 79 and low 80 s. Have doubled his current medicine and doctor added amiodinpine yesterday. Pressure is running 183/76 now. Sees his primary almost monthly for a wellness checkup and has had no problems in the past with this. Usually ran in 130 s/60 s. Does he need to go to the emergency room?
Fri, 23 Feb 2018
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response
He does not need to go to emergency for this blood pressure unless he is having symptoms of a stroke or a severe headache. He does however, need to follow up very soon with his primary care doctor. He also needs to be on a very strict low salt diet.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I have both hypertension and hypotension. I am seeing a Cardiologist, but have not yet had any additional testing. I have Tortuosity in both sides,...