Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
170 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How can depression and severe anger be treated?

My mother is 75 years old and in Sept 2017 had partial knee replacement. It took her a long time to come out of the anesthesia but otherwise has healed well. However, she lived with her significant other and became paranoid about him having an affair. There was no evidence. She now has kicked him out of the house and we don t know where he went. She also wants to sell everything and move closer to me and my siblings. She is about 4 hours away and has lived there for about 40 years. She has exhibited other signs of depression such as anger, sadness, not wanting to do anything. We don t believe she has been seeing the doctor regularly after her surgery. Is there anything we can do to intervene? Is this type of behavior indicative of depression, dementia or common after surgery like this? My siblings and I are not able to spend significant time with her right now nor are we in a position to have her move in with us. We have tried encouraging mental health counseling but she doesn t believe in it . Any advice would be appreciated.
Mon, 16 Jul 2018
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

You do yoga, pranayama, meditation and walk in the morning. You spend time for your hobby, you spend time for work to some desirable thing. You take proper sleep & take. If the problem is not resolved then consult your psychiatrist.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Purva Patel
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

hello sir, i am 31yrs female,single. i m in education field. i am working for last 6 yrs. i am suffering from depression.I had very big dreams but...