How can deep vein thrombosis be prevented?

I am a healthy 76 yr. old female who had DVT and PE after flight to Europe 2 years ago. Off xarelto now and on baby aspirin...Heading to Spain May 1st...dr. thinks full aspirin and compression stockings should work..I am also back to fish oil capsules, which I was not taking when DVT happened....do you agree with this regime? thanks
Mon, 22 May 2017
Hi welcome to the health care magic

Your diagnosis is DVT with pulmonary embolism...

For this how long you have taken rivaroxaban (xarelto)???

This drug is gold standard in DVT prophylaxis and depending on D dimer level and according to cause it's duration of treatment decided

Aspirin is anti platelet drug and also beneficial in preventing thrombosis

Your cause for dvt should be searched for esp I want to check anticardiolipin (for antiphospholipid syndrome), prothrombin gene mutation by PCR, factor v Leiden mutation, protein C and S deficiency

If genetic mutation present then high chance of recurrent thrombosis and life long anticoagulant drug might needed

You can wear compression stocking

Hope your concern solved