How can cough and chest pain be treated?

I ve had a sore throat/stuffy nose for about a week, with occasional coughing. Nose not as stuffy any more, but the cough is more frequent and ribs/chest painful when coughing. Throat soreness now seems to be primarily from coughing. Have only taken over-the-counter symptom reducers, vitamin C and zinc. Thank you.
Tue, 5 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Excess cough can lead muscular strain and so rib and chest pain present.

Your viral infection my subsided and here cough could be as post viral bronchitis cough.

Your Auscultation should be done and chest X-ray is advisable.

Also check your CBC report.

To suppress cough dextromethorphan syrup can be prescribed

Hope this will help you

Consult pulmonologoist for examination