Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
133 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How can chronic diarrhea be treated?

My dad (68 yrs) is having continuous loose motions (15 times till now) since morning. Ate food. Took Loperamide pill then after lunch Flagell pill and now taken 1 Bi Quinol pill (all self medication). He is a chief guest (speaker) at a function at 5:30pm (2.5 hrs from now). Can he make it? Anything else to be taken ?
Mon, 20 Feb 2017
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello dear
I understand your concern
Your dad develop diarrhea.
It could be due to gastroenteritis: most common by virus, bacteria, protozoal infection.
If not resolves in next three days then stool examination should be done to confirm cause of infection.
Do not use lopramide without advise of doctor.
Take following advise:
Generally antibiotic should be given if diarrhea will not resolves in 3 days.
Tablet metrogyl 400 mg three times a day for 3 days
Take ORS formulation and drink plenty of water to maintain water and electrolyte balance
Take soft diet like rice with added lime, curd, pomengranate
Hope this may help you
Best regards
Dr. Sagar
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I had diarrhea for 6 and 1/2 days and was being ignored by my nursing home doctor. At the hospital they said it was due to overmedication of...