Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
137 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How can bone spurs on the back be treated?

Hello, My Dad is 85 years old and is having issues w bone spurs in his back and then the last few weeks he has been blacking out with inability to grasp things. He just recently had his carotid arteries cleaned out so he is Good with this..He had his some of his bone spurs removed a few years back but they are again bothering him. He has had 1 stroke a few years back with partial loss of vision in one eye. Strokes run in our family and he has high cholesterol. Please help if you may have any ideas. He has a dr appt on Nov 1st coming up..
Mon, 23 Jul 2018
Report Abuse
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Non-surgical treatment plan will usually include massage therapy and physical therapy to restore flexibility and strength and decrease pressure on spinal nerves. After two weeks, you should be able to notice a difference. If you experience flare–ups, try alternating applications of heat and cold to your lower back and resting. Pain medications can also be prescribed, along with muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatory medicines, for 4-to-6 weeks. Your physician might also prescribe epidural steroid injections to further reduce swelling and inflammation. If these procedures prove to be ineffective, you should consult a neurosurgeon about your treatment options. If your diagnosis is causing unstoppable back pain and hindering your quality of life, you should consider undergoing a laminectomy to remove the bone spurs. This will permanently remove the growths and relieve the nerve compression that is causing your pain.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I have low back pain with severe pain going down my right leg. Nothing shows on my MRI It affects my sleeping and showing signs of weakness in the...