How can black stool conditions be treated in an elderly person?

I have black stool for the past 3 days. I am still moving around, going to work and doing ok. I thought this was the result of that new FLU or whatever it is that is going around. I am 74 and among my meds is pradaxa that I have been taking for 4 years with no problems. What should I do?Thanks for your help
Wed, 1 Mar 2017
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
Hi There

- Black stools happen in some serious condition like Gastric track bleeding and can can happen if u r taking any iron supplements or iron rich diet.

- if u can are taking Pradaxa then u have a tendency to bleed depends on the other co-morbid if y have .

- bleeding tendency with Pradaxa increases if u take any kind of pain killer or Asprin with that . If u are taking any of that then stop them right away.

- my advise is don't stop Pradaxa before consulting your primary physician but must talk to him as soon as possible.

Good Luck
General & Family Physician Dr. Kathy Robinson's  Response
See your doctor. Black stool is a sign of bleeding and can be very serious.Do not delay. See your doctor right away
REgards