How can backache on the right side be treated?

I have back pain on my right side. Only when I stand or try to walk. It is a sharp stabbing pain. I ac hardly walk. I have not lifted anything heavy. The only thing I did was the day before I gave myself my monthly testosterone injection with a 22 gauge syringe. It was close to that area. My doctor can t see until Friday.
Tue, 5 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Lower back pain is quite COMMON among middle aged individuals. Back muscle strain is one of the MOST common causes for acute to severe lower back pain. Lifting a heavy object, twisting, or a sudden movement can cause muscles or ligaments stretch or develop microscopic tears.

Some other underlying causes, like sciatica, spondylitis lumbar herniated disc, degenerative disc disease, isthmic spondylolisthesis, etc., should be ruled out through clinical examination and radiological investigations (like X-ray, CT scan, Myelogram, MRI, etc.). Kindly, consult with Orthopedic surgeon regarding this for proper management of the case.

TREATMENT: Some general guidelines can help you to reduce lower back pain. These are as follows:
1) Take adequate bed REST with maintaining posture. Individuals who do not regularly exercise to build strength and flexibility are more likely to experience recurrent or prolonged lower back pain.
2) Alternatively, using hot water bottle or ice pack would help to relieve lower back pain by reducing inflammation.
3) Non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are quite useful to reduce inflammation and back pain. You need proper prescription from your doctor.
4) Exercise for lower back pain : It is a key element of almost any lower back pain treatment plan. You may contact with Physiotherapist regarding this. It includes three components: aerobic conditioning, stretching, and strengthening. These exercises are done through a controlled, progressive program to build a more strong and flexible spine.
5) Epidural steroid injections - deliver steroids directly into the painful area of the lower back to reduce inflammation. It doesn't heal the components of the back, but often provide enough pain relief to allow patients to move, exercise and heal.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.