How can an itchy insect bite on the shin be treated?

I have what appears to be an insect bite on my right shin. I ve had it for about a week, and the redness started to increase about 3 days ago. I ve washed it with cold water and soap, to avoid the added irritant of warm water, and have applied aloe vera gel to it to try to decrease and get rid of the irritation, itching, and redness. This method has not worked: the red area has only expanded, and, for about the past day, there has been a slight, dull soreness that goes from the bite center around my leg to the back side of the leg.
Wed, 27 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

As per your case history of insect bite, my treatment advice is -

1. Wear full sleeve clothes to avoid further such episodes.
2. Apply a mild antibiotic plus steroid cream like fusiderm-b cream twice daily on it.
3. Take an antihistamine medication like Levocetirizine twice daily for 7-10 days.
4. Other treatment options are oral steroid like prednisone or betamethasone taken only after consulting a dermatologist.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.