Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
147 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How can an ear injury be treated?

Hello, My dad has an injured ear canal and we had been to an ENT specialist for its treatment and have confirmed that the drum is totally fine. The ear canal wall is injured due to piercing of an ear bud. There appears to be dried blood clot in the canal which is blocking the air to reach the drum. My dad, however, has suffered from acute ischaemic stroke and is facing severe anxiety issues. He is getting inconsolable due to irritation caused by the clot. The only ENT specialist in the town is not available most of the time. In this case, will it be safe to clean the blood with hydrogen peroxide? I was thinking of using the liquid by dropping a few drops in the affected ear, leaving it for a few seconds and then letting it flow out. It would be of great help if you assist me on this ASAP.
Mon, 2 Jan 2017
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Do not do such things. H2O2 can make the condition aggravate, it can increases pressure in canal which even can perforate tympanic membrane. Please don't intervene by your self. Haematoma is a simple problem and it gets absorbed as time passes. Don't worry about it. The word haematoma is making you afraid. Its nothing but bruise. If you have any further issue go and meet your ENT specialist.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am a 27 year old female. I was hit in my ear yesterday and experinced immediate hearing loss, but not all the way. Discovered later last...