How can an ear infection be treated?

Hi, I did go to my doctor a few days ago and he did see that my ear canal was red, irritated and infected and that s why I had an uncomfortable feeling in my ears. However there was no earwax in my ears. He prescribed me otocomb ear drops and it should get better, however now a few days later my left ear still has a very uncomfortable feeling, it is like my ear is full - similar to the feeling when there is water stuck in your ear - is this normal? I first thought I had to continue on taking it and that it might help, but it doesn t, what should I do?
Thu, 19 Jan 2017

Symptoms of ear infections usually improve within the first couple of days, and most infections clear up on their own within one to two weeks without any treatment. Treatment include:

- Managing the pain using a warm compress. Placing a warm, moist washcloth over the affected ear may lessen pain.

- Pain medication like acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) to relieve pain.

- Oral amoxicillin (Amoxil, Moxatag) or amoxicillin with clavulanate (Augmentin) are typically the preferred antibiotics for treating acute otitis media in adults. Azithromycin (Zithromax), cefuroxime (Ceftin) or another antibiotic will be prescribed for people with a penicillin allergy. Treatment should be taken for 7-14 days.

- if your symptoms do not improve in 2 to 3 days or become worse. Occasionally, a different antibiotic needs to be used to better target the bacteria causing the infection.

Hope this answer helped you. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi