Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

122 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How can an allergic skin reaction on the scalp be treated?

I have had a bad reaction to a solution of mouthwash and shampoo that I mixed to clean my hair of hair spray and other hair products. It burned my scalp. I had scabs, itchy breakouts, sore spots, increased production of dandruff (which I never had before). I have gotten fluoconazole (sp.) solution from my family doctor.He also gave me Bactrim. I took that for a week. Nothing is helping.I have tried Head & Shoulders, TGel.Nothing is helping and it itches so bad. What can I try?
Tue, 19 Jun 2018
Report Abuse
Dermatologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I have gone through your complaints and would recommend you to apply a steroid lotion like cortisone lotion on the affected areas twice daily. And take anti-histaminic like tablet Cetrizine once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I have been suffering from allergies ( itching on scalp)for nearly 20 yrs. Condition has been acute over 3yrs..All types of foods /contact tests have been done. I can t take most of foods (except rice & rice products). I ve also allergies from fragrance & strong odour. Hair fall tremendously increased. Kindly advise me proper medicine.

doctor1 MD

I have been to see 3 different doctors and 2 dermatolgists for the same thing, 2 derms said dry skin prescribed Tricialome cream . Since July of last year, I have been getting raised marks on my skin that looks like pimples sometimes and sometimes 1 sometimes several in the same area. My skin itches like something is crawling on my skin, I feel like a pin prick sensation sometimes, sometimes I feel fluttering on my skin sometimes I feel like a allergic reaction itch. The itch is usually the same all the time, I have 1 good day 5 bad. I usually get these pimple like things on my scalp, breasts, under breasts, neck and shoulders and buttocks. Very rarely any where else. I thought it was scabies, no and I have cleaned and cleaned, changed everything to senstive skin, no hot water, lotion twice a day, laundry soap clear and free. I was on meds that i thought was causing this, stopped taking them, nope. They keep giving me Tricialome cream again, vanacream. I thought maybe we had bed bugs no sign of them its been 8 months, I have cleaned carpets washed all the clothes in the house looked through everything never found a live bug in that time. My son who lives with me no spytoms at allI feel like I am losing my grip. I am on a daily athistamine and lotion with vanacream, I take 5 minute or less showers warm, no loffa dove senstive skin soap in privates ...PLEASE HELP

doctor1 MD

Hi, for the last two weeks I noticed that my scalp is very sensitive to touch. I also noticed a handful of tiny lumps on my scalp that were a little itchy at first. Once I scratched them, they now sting or burn and no longer itch. My husband says that they look like pimples or poison ivy blisters with white or yellow puss ready to be popped. Some produce liquid and some have white stuff coming out. I do not normally have pimples, so this is not the same as that. They first appeared on the back of my scalp (about 5 sporadically in different locations like the top part towards the back of the head, sides, middle, and on the bottom towards the ears). Now, they are spreading on the sides of the head as well as the top location of the scalp. Please help me determine what it is and how to treat it. The day before this occurred I had my hair colored [foiled highlights, which did not touch my scalp], but I am wondering if I am having an allergic reaction or something different? Once in a while I get a rash similar to this on my elbows, but the itching and burning on my elbows are much, much worse. I do not have this on any other parts of my body, just my scalp. Thanks.