Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
175 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How can allergic skin reaction on the face be treated?

I believe that I got a skin reaction (I think it is contact dermatitis) after I had my hair colored today. One of the cheeks on my face is very red. I am going to a big event on Friday evening and need something so that it calms down. Any thoughts?
Sat, 17 Feb 2018
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi & Welcome.
I can understand your concern.

Based on the history given you seem to have developed allergic dermatitis apparently caused by the use of hair color dye.

Had I been your treating doctor I would suggest a moderately potent topical steroid (like Mometasone) to be applied on the affected area of the face twice daily for a week along with an over the counter oral antihistamine like Cetrizine once daily in the evening would provide you symptomatic relief

I also advise you to avoid the suspected hair color dye and also to minimize the use of cosmetic products. This is the only and the best remedy.

Prevention is better than cure.
Best regards.

I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

hi, i was exfoliating my face and used an exfoliating cinnamon face scrub that was burning my face, but i didn t think anything of it until it...