Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
155 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How can allergic reactions to antibiotics be diagnosed?

What kind of doctor do I see to check which antibiotics I am allergic. I had a severe reaction to Penicillin 30 years ago. With Clindamicin it was different, just intense body itching. I just had wrist surgery, and my doctor suggested I see an Allergist, but my medical group just emailed me that Allergists just deal with environmental and food allergies.
Thu, 15 Feb 2018
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response

Thanks for asking. I understand your concern.
Yes .. alltgists mostly deal with environmental allergy.
Severe itching being a sign suggestive of allergy...when induced by starting typical antibiotic is said to becaused by it.A person nonallergic to a penicillin years back could develop it over the years .. so prevent serious allergy is priority in such cases .
Most popular method to treat such allergy is to stoo the drug immediately. &start with antiallergic treatment & also start an alternative safer antibiotic for prevention of infection is first line of treatment.
In case of very severe allergy with difficulty in breathing.. one can take help of an Intensivist.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hi my age is 36/m weight is around 79 kgs, when I was 20 years old I was diagnosed with Allergic rhinitis had Cryosurgery at age of 23 and had been...