How can a tooth abscess be treated?

My question is regarding my mother having an abscess tooth. I had taken her to the dentist on 5/5, she had s script for clindamycin HCL 150 mgs called in. She has been taken this very 6-8 hrs as instructed. The infection has not changed. My mother is 87 years young and I oversee her medication to make sure she is taking it correctly. She has a very sensitive stomach so what should I do?
Mon, 18 Jun 2018
Dentist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

If your mother is having a tooth abscess then taking only antibiotics is not sufficient at times and the tooth needs to be treated.
As your mother is taking antibiotics since long and there is no change in infection, so now the tooth should be either treated or removed.
So my suggestion is to consult an Oral Physician and get evaluated and a clinical examination and investigation like x ray can help in confirmation of the condition of the tooth.
If tooth can be saved and your mother is in a good physical and medical condition then root canal treatment can be done.
If the tooth has a gross decay then extraction of the tooth is advisable.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Honey Arora