Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

How can a person get rid of ghutka and alcohol ?

my husband will eat gutuka and drink daily i tried a lot but it was not sucess please give me suggestion to quit both
Asked On : Thu, 31 Mar 2011
Answers:  4 Views:  122
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for writing in to us.
If your husband is reluctant to see a doctor, you can have your husband discuss his addiction problem with a counselor first. The counselor will try to understand your situation at home and encourage you to take your husband to a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist will evaluate his general health and take detailed history on his addictions. Your husband also needs to get educated on the risks of addiction to guthka and alcohol.

If a de addiction center is there close by, you husband can stay there for some time (1-2 months) and be under strict observation for addiction behavior. This is because if a patient stops taking alcohol suddenly or takes even little alcohol when he is on medicines for de addiction, he may have withdrawal symptoms and this can lead to emergency situation which can be controlled better in a de addiction center.

Hope this helps.
Answered: Tue, 6 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Radiologist Dr. Radha Narayanan's  Response
Thanks for choosing both should be from his side also unless he wishes like that you cant force him to do so else he will get back to it as early as possible.Please explain to him nicely that you wish him to get rid of the habits for good and then take him to some Deaddiction centre in your place.They will first counsel him and then do the needful.
Answered: Thu, 14 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Keerthish Shetty's  Response
Addiction (to alcohol, tobacco or any drug) is considered as a disease and not just a bad habit. The reason is that there are lot of changes in the brain and its chemical messengers which are not in the control of the person once he gets addicted.

It is advisable to consult a deaddiction specialist/psychiatrist in your area. Hospitailization may or may not be necessary depending on the severity of the problem. Medicines may have to be continued for some time to prevent relapse. Remember that it is dangerous to stop alcohol use suddenly by yourself as there can be severe withdrawal reactions. Deaddiciton should be carried out under the supervision of a specialist.
Answered: Fri, 15 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. A. Vishal's  Response
Alcohol and gutaka addiction causes severe health related problems.
you should be consult a psychiatrist, he will help your husband problem.
sudden cessation or decrease the amount of alcohol causes tremors,seizures,palpitations,fearfulness,fluctuation in blood pressure. so admit in deaddiction centre.
Answered: Sat, 16 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor