Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

145 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How can a painful heel spur be treated?

I have had a painful L heel spur for over 3 months; can t get into see my podiatrist till first week in June. Trying different shoes and supports and even orthotics isn t helping! So unable to do my fast walks as before! I am also dealing with bulging discs in lower back so the two really don t go together but create more pain. What do you suggest?
Wed, 18 Jul 2018
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Heel spur can cause intense pain. Since you have tried almost all non surgical measures, it is better to go for surgery now. Nothing to worry as it is a simple procedure and complications are very minimal. You can consult an orthopedic and he will explain the procedure in detail.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Believe I have a bone spur on bottom of my heel. Very painful to walk on that area. Must use additional insoles in shoes to walk, and still my heel is incredibly painful. Had plantar fasciitis before and this is similar except only involves my left heel. What can I do for relief and or treatment?

doctor1 MD

I am 69yrs, and have been taking yoga and aerobics 2X/week for a couple years. I recently added a high impact Zumba class, and after about a month, my left heel developed quite a bit of pain. A physical therapist suggested plantar fasciitis, and I began wearing a plantar insole (all the time), a compression sock , and lately, a thermal plantar bootie during the night. This has been going on for a couple months, and has really been crimping my ability to walk w/o pain. Today, a friend suggested that plantar f. usually comes in both feet together, and that maybe thats not what I ve got...I thought of heel spurs, but I read that they usually come w/plantar F. I ve been trying to avoid DXrays and a $50 podiatrist visit...What do you think? Thanx, Jenny...This is very misleading...what happened to the WebMD site I was writing to?

doctor1 MD

I have pain on the bottom of my foot, specifically the ball of my foot. I m 53 years of age. If it s arthritis, what type of treatment is recommended. Or could it be some sort of bone spur? I had the same pain about a year ago and a podiatrist didn t see anything other than perhaps some arthritis around the big toe of the same foot. Now I notice that there is a space between my middle toe and second smallest toe; I m not sure if it s from walking funny, or if there is some physical object causing it to spread apart. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give.