How can a painful bunion on the left foot be treated?

I have a bunion on the left foot. I am experiencing some pain and tenderness at the spot where the second metatarsal of my left foot meets the phalange. It is not red, but is very tender sometimes. a sharp sort of tenderness, rather than a general type. It is almost like the top of the phalange is bruised. Any ideas?
Mon, 26 Feb 2018
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic for your health concern

The pain you are experiencing is due to pressure exerted by bunion on joint. Here are few things to try to help relieve the pain
-Wear comfortable shoes
-Ice the area
- You can take Advil 400 mg up to 4 times a day
-Wear braces meant for treating bunion. Such braces are available in pharmacies like Walgreens.
If the above measures fail, surgery might be needed

Dr.Lekshmi