Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

How can a cholesterol patient get relief from painful knee so that she can walk comfortably ?

my wife is suffering from knee problem. she can t bend her knees comfortably. it is very painful and she wants to know the way to reducing her problem. she is 56 years old and presently gives hot compression and wears knee cap as advised by local doctor. she is trying out homeopathic as well as ayurvedic medicine. i dont want her to use painkiller medicine. she is also a cholestrol patient and takes life saving drugs as advised by heart specialist. she does not have diabetes/ sugar . please advise course of action for relief so that she can walk comfortably.
Asked On : Tue, 27 Mar 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  31
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello pbch123. Your wife appears to have osteoarthritis in her knees from your description of her knee issues. She has several options:

1. Continue current treatment regimens.
2. Physical therapy would strengthen the muscles and ligaments around her knees and might give her some slight relief of pain.
3. Steroid injections will help her with the pain and movement of her knee.
4. Hyaluronic acid injections will help her rebuild her cartilage in her knee.
5. Arthroscopy is laproscopy of her knees which will directly address the arthritis in her knees but is only temporary.
6. Knee replacement which should be the last resort for any patient. Replacement knees are never as good as the original and she is not going to perform some activities such as kneeling.
7. Some studies suggest glucosamine/chondroitin may help with the pain of osteoarthritis which may also be an option for your wife.

Due to her other medical problems, any surgical procedures would have to be approved by her other physicians.

Be well, Dr. Kimberly
Answered: Tue, 27 Mar 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor