Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

How can I take care of my teeth and gums after quitting gutkha ?

hi i had stopped eating can I take care of my teeth and gums now. kindly suggest any tablets, solutions to be used. thanks,
Asked On : Mon, 10 May 2010
Answers:  6 Views:  819
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
1st of all congratulation for quitting the habit as it leads to various serious problems
now i would advise that you pay a visit to your nearby dentist and get a proper scaling and curretage done
in the meanwhile to maintain good oral health you can do the following

1.luke warm saline rinses 4-6 times daily initially for 15 days and then reduce it to after meals
2.use hexidine mouth wash after breakfast
3.dont forget to brush your teeth before going to bed
4.also you can use some gum astingents to maintain good gum health
hope this helps
Answered: Fri, 2 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful

 2 users find this helpful

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Hello and welcome to hcm,
I would suggest you to get your teeth cleaned by a dentist to remove the stains on teeth completely.
Maintain good oral hygiene.
Use soft bristled tooth brush to clean your teeth.
Maintain good oral hygiene.
Use chlorhexidine mouthrinse to gargle.
The stains can re-appear if you use the gutkha.
Get dental check-up in every 6 months.
Take care.
Answered: Wed, 1 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Stains are very common and in most of the cases can be removed by a procedure called "scaling and polishing" by the dentist. In certain patients when there are gaps between teeth these stains are easily visible, due to the gaps and are difficult remove by the patient by brushing. Therfore professional cleaning is required.
maintain good oral hygiene.
brush your teeth twice daily using toothbrush.
rinse your mouth after every meals.
chlorhexidine mouthrinses can prevent plaque accumulation.
Answered: Sat, 3 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for aksing the query,

It is very nice to hear that you have quit the habit of guthka chewing.
I would suggest you to visit the Dentist and get complete mouth scaling and polishing done.
Brush your teeth twice daily with a soft bristle toothbrush.
Use interdental cleaners and dental floss.
Take antispetic mouthwash rinses twice daily.
Get a routine dental checkup done in every 6 months.
Maintain a good oral hygiene.

Hope this helps out,

Answered: Sun, 4 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Souranjita Chattopadhyaya's  Response

Thanks for sharing your concern in this forum,

Gutkha of course is harmful for oral cavity but nice that you have stopped to have it...

Gutkha leads to external stains(dark brown) over the teeth...

Consult with Dentist for whole mouth scaling and polishing...

You have to brush twice daily..

Do warm saline rinses 2-3 times/day or after every meal...

You can use interdental brush and floss to clean the area in between the teeth...

Hope this helps out...

Answered: Wed, 7 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Nephrologist Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha's  Response
THanks for the query

There is nothing much u can do now, please brush your teeth twice daily. Floss and also use mouth wash twice daily. You will be alright
Also seek for reconstruction if u r seeking to improve them cosmetically

Have a healthy living
Answered: Mon, 12 Sep 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor