Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

How can I help through arrhythmia attacks especially when she faints ?

My girlfriend has/suffers from arrhythmia. I m still learning her exact form of it. I ve been around for a few episodes, including one where she fainted. What can I do to help her through the attacks, especially when she faints?
Asked On : Tue, 14 Jun 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  78
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Cardiologist, Interventional 's  Response
Arrhythmia means abnormal rhythm of the heart. There are many types. Accurate diagnosis is a MUST for proper treatment. If it is a case where the heart is slowing down, then a pacemaker must be implanted to regulate the heart rate and keep it normal. If it is due to very rapid beating of the heart, the treatment could be with medicines or by intervention. Since there is fainting, it is better to do an Electrophysiologic Study and further treatment depending on the exact diagnosis.
When she feels the arrhythmia starting, she should lie down as soon as possible. The falls sustained during fainting can also be dangerous.... Make sure her breathing is all right and turn her face to one side..... If it is a case of tachy-arrhythmia (rapid heart rate), she can try the Valsalva manoevre (trying to strain as if trying to pass stool with mouth and nose closed). It may help... An ECG obtained during the arrhythmia is most valuable for diagnosis. At least, count the pulse, if possible........
Accurate diagnosis is a MUST and in this case, EARLY diagnosis is essential...
Answered: Tue, 14 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
General Surgeon Dr. Avinash A's  Response
hi welcome to healthcaremagic
the best thing u can do is get her admitted and set her rhythm right...she needs evaluation and treatment..u cant really do much when she faints..u need to defibrillate at that very moment by seeking medical help..make sure u check her pulse..sometimes arrhythmia will go for cardiogenic shock..
Answered: Tue, 14 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor