Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

How can I get rid of hematoma on the kneecap ?

I fell on my kneecap- iced for the first hour, 20 min at a time... I now have a hardball sized hematoma on the kneecap: I read to put heat on it. CEO I want to heat in the first 72 hours? Will icing increase the swelling? Should I do contrast therapy (heat/ice)? Leg is elevated; kneecap seems intact ....
Asked On : Mon, 12 Mar 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  1133
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Gastroenterologist, Surgical 's  Response
The first thing you should do is to get an x ray of the knee joint done. You then need to consult a ortho surgeon and get your knee properly examined to look for blood in the joint. So please do not self treat and medicate.
Answered: Mon, 12 Mar 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Madhu's  Response
Ice pack is the preferred home remedy. Chances are it will resolve in a few days. watch out for constant throbbing pain or inflammation of surrounding areas indicating clot formation which will need to be removed by a qualified healthcare professional.
Answered: Mon, 12 Mar 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor