How can I get over my fear of low blood sugars ?

How can I get over my fear of low blood sugars in the middle of the night?
When I was first diagnosed with Type 1, I would go to bed and not worry too much about lows because I would wake up during them and fix it. Now, my night numbers are good, but I get afraid of lows in the night and overdo everything and wake up high. 1. I woke up once with a 36 reading. My whole body was wet with sweat, and not just a little sweat, it was quite a bit. I was shaking and felt ready to faint. After that, I realized I could have slipped into a coma and not woken up. 2. This past summer, one of my friends who was only 15 died of cancer. When he got out of school, he was perfectly healthy and a month and a half later, he was gone. It made me realize that I could've been that person too. 3. My night numbers are crazy. Sometimes, I can go to bed at 300 with no active insulin and wake up at 9:00 at 100. And sometimes, I can go to bed at 300 with no active insulin and wake up over 200. Nothing seems consistent. Also, my biggest fear is death. It seems I am more content with making it through the night without slipping into a diabetic coma that waking up normal. How can I get over this fear?
Thu, 24 Mar 2011