Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

How can I convince my doctor that my symptoms are not mood related ?

Hi, about 2 1/2 years ago i had a bad flu and never recovered. I had diarrhea and vomitting for about 7 days and lost 7lb in weight. I started having muscle spasms and pain, so bad that I couldn t do anything for myself. Bloods showed inflammation, raised white cells and auto immune. I was referred to a rheumatologist who retook bloods which came back normal. I have a history of depression and the rheumatologist said my problems were mood related. My other symtoms are night sweats , flushing, fainting , involuntary limb and head movements. I have had occasional episodes of vomitting dark blood and I am now constantly constipated and my stools are very dark. I asked for a second opinion and the new rheumatologist seemed to listen and assured me she would get to the bottom of things. Turned out she knew the original rheumatologist and also gave a diagnosis of mood related problems. Although my bloods showed i was positive for coeliac disease but that this was probably a red herring. She also mentioned carcinoid because of the flushing and sweating but that it s very rare and highly unlikely. She said she had done all she could as a specialist and would not be carrying out anymore investigation. She said she would write to my General Practitioner and recommend Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. I really feel that because of my history of depression that I haven t been taken seriously. Could you advice please? I m female, 40 years, 10 stone 11 pound, 5ft 7inch, I have had a hysterectomy but have retained my ovaries. All bloods except coeliac have come back normal.
Asked On : Fri, 15 Apr 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  62
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General Surgeon 's  Response
welcome to healthcaremagic
from th presentationit seems that you should go for a consultation with gastrenterologist and get atleast an g i endoscopy done to find ou and reach a diagnosis and treatment started
hope you get proper treatment and be well
Answered: Sat, 16 Apr 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor