Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

How can I control my cholesterol level ?

Hi, I am 27 year old Male, Very recently I have undergone a Blood test (Lipid test with Fastig) to check my cholestral level. It seems like My cholestral values are above the normal range. Am I really in danger? Could you please advise the necessary action to be taken from my side to bring down the below values to the normal range. Total Cholestrol - 221 ( Normal range should be up to 200) Triglycerides - 194 (Normal range should be between 40 - 200) HDL cholestrol - 59 (Normal range should be between 35 - 55) LDl cholestrol - 113 (Normal range should be between 45 - 100) VLDL cholestrol - 39 (Normal range should be between 8 - 33) Thanks, Sairanjit
Asked On : Wed, 11 Jan 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  259
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
OBGYN 's  Response

Yes they are on higher side
HDL is okay
Get your BP check up done
Diet control plays a very important role in lowering the cholesterol
Soy , oats , apple , dry fruits , olive oils lower the cholesterol
Avoid chicken , meat , butter , ghee , cheese etc
Whole grain or multigrain atta is better
Brown bread or multigrain bread is better to use

Regular brisk walk should be done
You can join gym also
Statins are taken to lower the cholesterol but strictly under physician's guidance as you are young and I think diet and exercise is better than any medicine
You can get your thyroid profile done
Best wishes
Answered: Wed, 11 Jan 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pathologist and Microbiologist Dr. M Agarwal's  Response
Hello. your levels of cholesterol are marginally elevated. Now the better part is that you have a favorable HDL level. Despite all this, to lead a healthy future life, you need to have dietary modifications, more towards eating non fatty protein rich natural foods. Your intake of fat must be restricted and limited to consumption of polyunsaturated fat. At your age, lipid lowering by mediation is not advisable. Try your level best to attain healthy food habits, reduce weight (if you are overweight according to age/ height etc.) Then you may go in for repeat lipid profile after 1.5-2 months. If levels are escaleted further/ stationary, you can see an internal medicine specialist. take care.
Answered: Wed, 11 Jan 2012
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

  User's Response
u have to avoid red meat, fatty foods and ghee and junk food like chips,burger etc. after restriction of diet for one month re check the values. hope good. as you are yong the value of blood examination is high. you have to strick fatty food. thank you.
Answered: Fri, 27 Jan 2012
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor