Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
180 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How can HPV infection be treated?

Good morning, My name is Brandy, I am very concerned about my now 17 year old daughter. She had gotten the HPV shot at age 11yr'old and shortly after she started her menstrual cycle. She then stopr having normal cycles. After all these years she still gets this really bad discharge in the vaginal area. She has never been sexually active the color of it is yellow and sometimes brown. she still does not have periods every month like she should. Took her to doctors before and they said they didn't know what it was. And only gave her An anitbiodic. which didnt help. She had only had that one shot, what can be causing this? Thank you
Thu, 10 Aug 2017
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Good morning,
I understand your concerns about your daughter s health.
1- HPV infection does not cause the symptoms you are describing and it is a sexually transmitted infection. since your daughter is not sexually active and al so by history the symptoms are not suggestive of such an infection, it is unlikely that you daughter has an HPV infection. it is recommended that your daughter to take the full course of HPV vaccination to decrease the risk of cervical cancer later on in life.
2- regarding the irregular cycles, at this age it is well known that the hypothalamic pituitary ovarian axis is not mature enough so it is very common among girls of her age to have irregular cycles. with time these cycles will become regular.
3- regarding the vaginal discharge, more information is needed, such as the presence of itching, the smell, the consistency of the discharge. If the discharge is more white thick with itching this might be due to candidiasis and the treatment will be diflucan 150 mg orally one tablet once with miconazole cream on the genital area. Foul smelling and greyish discharge is more due to bacterial vaginosis and can be treated with metronidazole (flagyl). Green foul smelling discharge can be due to the presence of a foreign body in the vagina and should be removed. Considering that your daughter is not sexually active.

Best regards
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I have hpv. It s making me depressed. As soon I think the warts are going to go away another comes up. I m on many vitiate now and have gotten them...