• question-icon

Hive like rash on the body, dizziness, no fever, rash disappears with intake of Benedryl. Is it viral infection?

My son 8 years old has hive like rash on his arms and leg now on torso. I give him benedryl and it goes away and re-appears when the benedryl wears off. He has been allergic to dogs, milk soy and eggs but has not been in contact with any of those. He has no ever but is tired and was tonight a bit dizzy. We just got back from a trip to Barbados ( for a week) could this be not hives could this be a virus? If so what type of virus would cause this rash that looks and is itchy like hives for two days and no fever?
Wed, 23 Oct 2013
Welcome to healthcare magic,
From your description and past history it could be hives ( Acute urticaria) and need not be any viral inection. It is characterized by itchy red or skin colored raised wheals which is transient, that means appears in one place and soon disappears from there to appear somewhere else. The most common cause of acute urticaria is food. Seafood, meat, poultry, egg, milk, peanuts, apples, brinjal, strawberry, coloring agents etc are commonly implicated. It is subjective and any food can cause it. Other common causes are medicines, infections, insect bites etc. Antihistamines like benadryl is the medical treatment. Identifying the trigger and avoiding it is the best treatment.
Hope this helped