Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Hit my elbow. Developed bruise and having pain. What are the possibilities of a fracture?

I fell during volleyball today and hit my elbow very hard on the hard court. My elbow is currently extremely painful to touch and to movement of my arm . It is swollen on my left side of my elbow and black and blue, it has gottenworse over the past 24 hours. What are the possiblities of a fracture? And I am applying ice.
Asked On : Fri, 8 Mar 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  192
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query.

It might be soft tissue injury or fracture.

Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

Beside icing and elevation you can take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid lifting weight and rest well.

I hope this is helpful to you.
You can consult me again directly through my profile
Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Answered: Fri, 8 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Achuo Ascensius's  Response
Hello, thanks for using health care magic.
To every trauma, there is need to rule out the most fear outcome which in your case is a fracture at your elbow.
A fracture is accompanied immediately after trauma by severe pains and loss of function of the limb followed by swelling and there is risk of damage of blood vessels and nerves directly or through a complication in which the pressure inside the surrounding muscle increases.
Injury to ligaments would also present with immediate onset of pain, reduced function swelling, however, symptoms are less acute than that of a fracture.
To be sure of what is going on, a detail physical examination of your elbow by a doctor is necessary together with at least an x-ray.
Best regards and hope this helps you.
Answered: Fri, 8 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Naturopathy & Yoga Specialist Dr. Ambika Murali Krishnan's  Response
You have to take a x ray for the evaluation of your complains so consult an orthopedic Dr for the investigation procedure and for the treatment ,do not delay no home remedies.
Take care.
Answered: Fri, 8 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor