Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Hit inner ankle with softball. Have bruise. Pains on pressing lump on ankle. Treatment?

Last week I was hit in the inner ankle with a softball. I do not have pain walking or running other than discomfort with bruising around my ankle. This week I have found a lump above the inner ankle bone that hurts if I press on it. The outer part of my ankle is also sore to the touch. I am a runner and would like to continue running but I don't want to further cause an injury. Will the bruising and pain go away after a few weeks of icing? Can I still run as long as it doesn't hurt to run. My ankle hurts most when I squat down and really bend my ankle. Thanks!
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  929
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist 's  Response
thanks for writing to HCM,
from the description you provided here it looks like a soft tissue injury (muscle strain or ligament sprain). for surely ruling out bone injury you can go for X-ray ankle joint (both AP& LAT VIEW).

Icing should help you but for initial 3-4 days. after that you should start with hot fomentation for 10-15 mins 3 times a day for another 3-4 days. take rest well.
you can use crepe bandage on your ankle and also elevate the ankle while lying and during sitting also , this will help reduce swelling.
If this treatment helps you within a week then gradually start some exercises (stretching and strengthening exercises of ankle) but if it doesn't help visit your orthopaedician.

i hope this helps
wish you good health
Answered: Sat, 13 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Hello and Welcome to HCM,
From description it seems to be soft tissue injury . Large lump might be due to haematoma formation(collection of blood).
You need an x-ray to rule out any bony injury.
I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.Beside icing and elevating it, you can take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid putting weight and rest well.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Rest is important for heeling / in the first days...
This could be a blood clot...and resolve by itself...
It is better to see an orthopaedician / have X-rays - especially if you are a runner...

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Siddartha's  Response
hi most probably it shoulb be hematoma(blood clot),no need to worry about this..
mean while take an x-ray to rule out any bone injury/fracture..
avoid stress to that reduce pain and inflamation use anti inflamatory drugs....
hope you will recover soon.
thank you
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor