Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

Hit at a dead spot, extreme burning in upper spine and neck. Unable to tilt head and intermittent nerve pains. Is it healing process?

Hi there, I recent was involved in a rear end collision, I was hit at a dead stop on the freeway at 50mph. I experienced extreme burning like someone lit a firecracker in my upper spine and neck after impact. It s been three weeks since and I am still unable to tilt my head either direction, I also am experiencing intermittent nerve pains in my extremities, spasms, weakness and fatigue In my upper body and constant pain in my neck and shoulders. There is also an awful crunching noise in my neck now that hasnt gone away. I had X-rays and they said everything was normal, but it definately doesn t feel like it! I m worried I might be permanently damaged! Im looking for the next step to take in this long healing process?
Asked On : Tue, 26 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  89
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on your symptoms, we should exclude a diagnosis of central cord syndrome. In this condition, due to whip lash injury, the central parts of cervical spinal cord in injured, resulting in symptoms similar to what you have.

However, it is reassuring to note that symptoms improve with medical treatment and surgery is not required.

MRI of cervical spine may be done to confirm the diagnosis.

Pregabalin capsules may be taken for symptom relief.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)

Senior Consultant Neurologist

Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,

My personal URL on this website:

My email:
Answered: Tue, 26 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur's  Response
Jun 2013
Hi there ~

It would be best to consult a neurosurgeon as to what the next step should be. As for the pain you are experiencing I think it might be best to consult a pain specialist that can treat you for the kind of pain you are experiencing. I hope this helped.

Take care and have a lovely day !
Answered: Tue, 26 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor