Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

History of urolithiasis. Stomach pain, hematuria. Scan shows kidney stone. What would you suggest?

Hi dr., i am subhashini and i am asking for my mother who is 56 years old and a diabetic ......she has a history of urolithiasis ..and years back she underwent lithotripsy and ureteroscopy ....and stones were removed......recently two weeks back she had stomach pain and hematuria and scanned and found that she had a 4 mm stone in her right kidney....and saw a urologist .....they say she has infection and so she \is having pain ....she drinks plenty of fluids and feeling very tired and restless....what would u suggest...plz help me for a solution.....regards
Asked On : Thu, 29 Nov 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  32
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response

Thank you for the query.

It can be an infection, it can be a stone or both. It is very hard to tell in such cases as stones in ureter if will stay there for long enough can cause urinary tract infection.
The best way to see if there is an infection is to have urine analysis and urine bacteriology tests.
Moreover, diabetes, if not controlled property, will cause urinary tract infections as well. That is why it is very important to have blood sugar monitored regularly.
Kidney stones is a disease which likes to recur as well. Such stones are mostly caused by diet habits. To get to know what products should be eliminated, the stone should be tested. Getting know what is the stone build of, will tell what causes stones. So if your mother will get another stone out, she should collect it and deliver for tests.
Urine tract infection should be treated with antibiotics, blueberry supplements, mineral water intake, and if pain is present, soft muscles relaxing medicines.

Hope this will help.
Answered: Thu, 29 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Nephrologist Dr. Aditya Bhabhe's  Response
Thanks for your query.
If she has pain and an infection is suspected she should have a urine culture done. Depending on the results she needs to take an appropriate antibiotic for at least 2 weeks.
If its a non obstructing 4mm calculus usually no surgery is required.
It's good to have a high fluid intake.
Good luck.
Answered: Thu, 29 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor