Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

History of jaundice. Can I drink alcohol? Want supplement to protect liver

hello, i was diagnosed with jaundice , my eyes got really yellow, and i was itching alot, it has been 3 weeks and now my eyes are very little yellow and the itching has gone away and my urin has gone back to normal color too. My questions is, when will i be able to drink alcohol again??? and is there any supplement i can take on a dailly basis to protect my liver like milk thistle?
Asked On : Tue, 26 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  74
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
It all depends on why you developed jaundice. If it was due to alcohol, you should definitely avoid it completely for the rest of your life.
If the jaundice was due to something acute and unrelated such as Hepatitis A, or a medication induced liver injury, then I would wait until your liver is completely recovered for at least 6 months to a year (with completely normal liver enzymes). Consult with a gastroenterologist or hepatologist beforehand.
No supplement is proven to help protect the liver. Milk thistle is popular, but the research studies show no benefit (unless given intravenous and in very high doses). Also milk thistle is not an FDA regulated supplement, so the efficacy, if any, varies depending on the brand.
Answered: Sun, 31 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Somanath Krishnan's  Response
It is a god-given chance for you, to FORGET Alcohol once for all. The fact that you are recovering from Liver Damage is a surprise. Don't spoil the game-Leave the drinks. For the welfare of the injured liver, it is advisable to take "Liv 52" , 2 caps twice daily for a month. A weakened Liver can easily get damaged by consuming alcohol All the best..........................
.................................................................................. Dr. Somanath Krishnan
Answered: Tue, 26 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor