Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

History of gall bladder removal. Bloating stomach, pain near rib cage. Done HIDA scan. Cause?

I had my gallbladder out 2 years ago. I've had a HIDA scan, a scope down my nose with manometry, gastric emptying and most recently an ERCP where they cut my sphincter of oddi muscle. I still have severe bloating in upper stomach and I feel like I'm being squeezed around my rib cage and breast bone. Sometimes that pain goes into my back. They just keep giving me pain meds and they don't know what is causing it. I've been to ER and they say it's not my heart. Im scared and frustrated...
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  74
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response

Thank you for the query.

As bile ducts and stomach problems has been ruled out, your symptoms can be caused by small or large intestines issues. It can be just a chronic bowels infection or more serious partial bowels obstruction due to inflammatory bowels disease or even colon cancer (probable if you are over the age of 50). Chronic pancreas inflammation is also possible.

I suggest you to have some more tests to rule out mentioned conditions.
You should have stool tests, amylase, urine amylase, lipase and colonoscopy at first. If nothing will be found, abdominal CT with oral contrast (enteroclysis) should be done.

Hope this will help.
Answered: Sat, 29 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor