• question-icon

History of drug abuse. Numbness in toe. Cause?

My mother was a drug user on and off for the past year drug of choice was meth.. Opiates...and then be clean for awhile and then be on meth and then pills and now suboxone trying to stay clean but tends to use every now and then for a few days she recently started feeling numbness in her left big toe and second one not completely numb nor painful just feels as if they were asleep and then later not notice been going on for a couple weeks now & just wanted to know if the cause of it can be from using or maybe lack of not eating or enough sleep during her times of using but why the toe?
Mon, 5 Aug 2013
Hello dear,

The symptoms as mentioned in your post can be attributed to:
1. Neuropathy
2. Dietary deficiency of certain nutrients like Iron, Vit B6, Vit B12, Folic acid, etc. which help in blood formation and nerve conduction.
3.Systemic causes like diabetes or hypertension
4. Hypocalcemia- decrease in calcium levels in the body
5. Metabolic & Hormonal causes

Though symptomatic relief can be obtained by administration of nervigenic agents like Vit B6, Vit B12, etc., the underlying cause needs to be treated.

So, kindly consult a Neurologist & get a proper clinical examination done, including nerve conduction studies.
Investigations like complete blood count, estimation of blood pressure & blood sugar levels will be helpful to rule out any pathological cause for the symptoms.

There is no need to worry, your mother will be fine.