History of diverticulitis. CT scan shows growth in cecum. Suggested cecum and sigmoid colon removal. Want second opinion?

Should I get a second opinion? My surgeon wants to cut my cecum and sigmoid colon out. I had my first diverticulitis attack back in March with perforation to the bowel. Was hospitalized on IV antibiotics for 5 days then home on antibiotics for 6 weeks. The antibiotics were actually hurting me so i stopped them, then healed fine. I have had 3 CT scans done since March, the 1st did not show a growth in my cecum, but the 2nd one did and the radiologist told my surgeon i had a tumor in my cecum. My Surgeon told him there was no way and that it was from all the infection that i just got over. Well my gut said get another CT to confirm because I had two opinions. Got another one and the tumor was still there. So my Surgeon did a colonoscopy to see what it was. He was unable to remove it becuase he said it was embedded into my muscle and to close to my appendix and he was scared of perforation. Now he wants to remove my cecum and my sigmoid. I am not one to just accept what a Dr. says, (no offense) but I am the one who has to live with the consequences, and I know what they will be if I had this done. I have researched my options and found out that I may be a candidate for EMR procedure and am in the process of finding a Dr. in Houston Tx (which is 4 hrs away from me) but I want the best of the best. My Surgeon said that I would not be a good candidate for EMR but that he is fine with me getting a second opinion because he knows how much I am against getting my colon cut out. What are your thoughts on what I should do? Also, this tumor has been in me for almost 5 months now, how long before I should get it out? I am not wanting to have surgery to remove it until September, if that is the path I have to take. Any advice would be appreciated.
Mon, 15 Jul 2013