Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

High calcium level, bouts of chest tightness, heart attack symptoms. What should I fear?

I have been having high calcium levels since I had the realize band put in. I have also had quite a few bouts with chest tightness, almost like heart attack symptoms. Do you think these are related symptoms. And what levels are considered high as to consulting another specialist? My levels have been running 11.1 or just slightly higher. My physicians doesn't think I should be concerned. But I think I should!!!!!
I am a 52yr old african amercian woman.
Asked On : Sat, 12 Oct 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  36
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello Dear madam!

Thanks for using HCM. This is Dr.Suleman Resident cardiology in cardiac Rehabilitation center.

After reading your Query I came to know you have two things about which you seems concerned.

1) Chest Pain
2) High Calcium Levels

If a patient came to me at this age of life with chest pain then the first thing I exclude is heart disease. sometime a simple ECG works and others time when we suspect that there is high risk of disase then we do ETT, which is a stress test in which we make you to perform exercise and your heart feels some stress and at the same time we do ECG. if you pass this test then it means your heart can perform its duties during rough time and you are ok. and if you fail then we investigate further for heart disease.

Now coming to second thing that is high calcium levels. I suggest you to repeat your calcium level after 2 weeks and if it is still persistently high then there is a probability that you have Hyperparathyroidism. for that ill suggest you to check blood level of PTH. this is a chemical in your blood which controls calcium level. if its high then there are many treatment options available. for that consult an endocrinologist .

So summary is for excluding your heart disease go through ECG and ETT. whic will pretty much explain your chest pain. if these test dont show any abnormality then you might be having some muscular pain. just take simple analgesic. and for caclium levels repeat your test again after 2 weeks. if it is still abnormal check PTH level. and consult endocrinologist accordingly.

Hope it will solve your problem. Get well soon and God Bless you :)
Answered: Sat, 12 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor