High Blood Pressure ... is it ok?

My Dad just said his BP was 167/97. He is 46 years old. I have no idea what this means. He says he is going to the Dr. What does his BP mean?
Mon, 25 Mar 2013
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
The figure 167 stands for systolic blood pressure which should be less than 140 mm of Hg and the bottom figure 97 is diastolic blood pressure which should be around 80 to 85 mm of Hg for his age group. He needs life style modifications like salt restricted diet avoiding salted pickles ,biscuits ,salted snacks etc ,intake of plenty of fruits if not a diabetic ,regular exercise like walking for 45 minutes ,5 days a week along with medications . Regular blood pressure checks ups is advised .Uncontrolled blood pressures will lead to heart,eye and kidney failures in the long run.

jaisudha's  Response
High blood pressure is a health ailment that many have taken for granted. This condition took the lives of over 40,000 Americans in 2002 alone and about one in three adults suffer from high blood pressure. It's critical for those with hypertension to take immediate steps to reduce their high blood pressure. It is amazing how many medicines that are supposed to help you feel better actually make you feel much worse. This is why so many people are turning to natural cures for hypertension. Here are some of the lifestyle changes that are essential in preventing high blood pressure: - The first thing that you need to make sure you do is take care of the basics. This means that you need to eat healthy, exercise, and take a daily multivitamin. These are things that you can start doing right away that will help reduce your hypertension, because exercise and proper diet are heavily correlated with reducing high blood pressure. - Secondly make sure that you are getting adequate of magnesium and potassium in your diet. These two nutrients are believed to be linked to blood pressure reduction, and by consuming more of these nutrients you will be on your way to lower blood pressure. - Take up a hobby that helps you reduce stress. One of the leading causes of hypertension is reducing stress. You need to practice some deep breathing techniques, and find something that you love to do in order to help reduce your hypertension, and is a great way to natural cure high blood pressure. High blood pressure is a health ailment that many have taken for granted. With the proper lifestyle and food regimen, high blood pressure may not be a problem.